Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Thanksgiving

I know the holiday is a far way out. But right now I feel that I have a lot to be thankful for, and I just want to express it. It has been almost year now that I got my new job within Qwest. In my old job I worked in the Consumer call center taking in bound calls.
Today at work they announced that that center will be closing on July 15th. I was in shock, and I am still in shock. That so very easily could have been me. I know how it feels. I was laid off 4 months after I moved here, and it took me 6 months to find a new job, and that was over 6 years ago. I can't even imagine getting laid off right now and trying to find a job.
What sucks about losing a job, is how much a job defines you. When you meet someone new, it is almost customary to ask "what do you do?". I remember that feeling. Thinking their is so much more to me than my job, or my lack of having of a job. But in our society we focus on a person having a job so much. It is sad, I think.
Although it almost seems normal to get laid off right now. Which is so scary. So so scary.
I have a great job, with a great salary, great benefits, and vacation. I am so grateful.
But it doesn't take away my fear, that that could be me. I honestly don't know what I would do if I lost my job. I've been with Qwest 5 and 1/2 years, and I know how lucky I am. I know I won't be able to find a job at the same pay, benefits etc...that I have now.
For now I'll be praying for all of my previous co-workers in hope that they will be ok.
So for today I am celebrating being Thankful for what I do have.
Happy and blessed to be where I am, right now.

3 comments:

Emily said...

That is so sad. And so scary. I'm glad you still have your job, though.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that and well said!

Kari

fotobug said...

April,

THAT is the BEST way to live your life. Thankful for whatever you have...... I always think to myeslf, 'there is someone out there who has less than I do. Right now.'

<3

You have every right to be thankfully proud! :o)