Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Austin Finale: Keep Austin weird

Did you know that Austin has the world's largest urban bat colony. Late Spring to Early Fall lots and lots(something like 1.5 million, I think) of bats fly out just as the sun is setting from under the Congress Bridge and fly around Austin eating 30,000 pounds of insects a night! Since we are the beginning of Spring I myself didn't get to see the bats fly out, but we did see some bats when we left BookPeople. My last day in Austin Nikki and walked across the Congress Bridge, and then down below to walk around Lady Bird Johnson Lake.
Nikki and I with Austin as our backdrop.
This specific spot is special to me, because this is where Nikki had a special memorial service for our Uncle Fred when he pasted away 2 years ago. Uncle Fred wasn't much of a traveler, but it is special to know that their are pieces of him within each of us everywhere we go, which makes Uncle Fred quite the traveler! We miss you Uncle Fred!
Another big theme throughout Austin is "Keep Austin Weird". These T-shirts are just about everywhere. And well I'm a big fan of T-shirts, and getting something with the City that I visited.
Our last stop before Nikki took me to the airport was to Freebirds. This is similar to a Chiptole. Very tasty burritos, with lots of options for your eating pleasure.

My trip to Texas was a lot of fun. Most of all just hanging out with Nikki was fabulous. Nikki and I often talk about how we wish we could just go somewhere have some coffee and visit. And it is safe to say that this weekend was full of just that! Hopefully one day she will make a trip to Colorado (hint, hint) or even possibly move here! :)

2 comments:

Nikki said...

You're sweet, I had a fun time too. I loved visiting with you. Great pictures!

fotobug said...

I enjoyed your comments of Uncle Fred. :o) Very sweet.

That shirt is so neat!! :o)

<3