Monday, May 31, 2010

this holiday

i think it is safe to say that the military affect our everyday lives. regardless of what you believe it is because of the military that we get to live the life that we lead freely everyday. i know a lot of people in the military. my dad was in the air force up until about 15 years ago, i've had friends join the military, and lots of other family members serve our Country. one of the most amazing things about a man or woman who serve in the military is the family that they come from. my cousin kari was a military wife for many many years. her husband retired within the past couple of years, but seeing her support the man that she loves while he would be flying all over the world risking his life, it is inspiring.
my cousin joseph is also in the military. he's my dad's nephew, and unfortunately i don't keep in touch with my dad's side of the family, but my dad just sent me these pictures of my cousin in Iraq and i thought i would share. it's pretty incredible. he's been there a few times in the past and this particular tour will most likely last until november. joseph's military family is a little bit unique. his wife is also in the military. they have 3 boys, which includes a set of twins! i can't tell you timelines or anything, but i think it is safe to say that these kids haven't had both of their parents home for more than a 4 or 5 year time span. how crazy is that?! i can't even imagine having a small children at home, and not having both parents always around. they usually take turns leaving and serving so rarely are they both home at the same time for any great lengths.


so i would like to personally say thank you to the service men and woman who make America what it is. thank you! as we have a nice relaxing 3-day weekend lets remember those you have fought and those who are currently fighting.
the mixx 60min
713

4 comments:

Emily said...

neat! happy memorial day.

Nikki said...

Wow, those are incredible pictures!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this April. One thing that warms my heart about you is that you TRULY appreciate the sacrifices that my family has made and that our nation’s military continues to make. Anyone can say they support the troops, but in the face of reality, a lot less of the public truly respect what our military men and women do and the sacrifices that they and their families make. I have had to stand in the face of people (even my own family members, at times!!) while they make demeaning and hurtful comments, by calling my husband a “baby killer” and “mean”….just for serving our nation…leaving me speechless and heartbroken...and too weary to defend myself, because my husband was away and it was all I could do to keep my household running and be there for my kids who missed their father while he was gone. I can thank the military for instilling the class, strength and dignity it sometimes takes to withstand those types of people that I have had to encounter, while silently accepting their opinions, because they have the freedom to do so, yet do not appreciate one ounce of it. Congratulations, April, you get it! I know we do not see eye to eye in the political realm, but I am still very proud to call you my cousin and I love you so, so much. You are compassionate and have a good heart and you are a blessing to my family. God Bless you. -Kari

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! April and Kari say it All!

LOVE AND PRAYERS, Mom