Sunday, May 23, 2010

new outing

last night i went out with a friend for the first time. sarah is an instructor at the gym that i'm sure i have mentioned before. ...she is the instructor for STRIKE! and sometimes subs for dance jam. sarah is awesome. upon taking her classes and seeing her personality i immediately thought to myself "i could be friends with this girl." we chat easily at least once a week, and i love LOVE her STRIKE! class, it's her class that makes it possible for me to workout 6 days a week.

the difficulty about actually making friends is i like to do things outside of what it is you have in common. meaning, i know sarah from the gym, and would like to to expand our friendship by doing something outside of that element. well last night was that opportunity. yesterday was sarah's birthday and she invited me out with her group of friends to dinner then dancing. i knew some of people that would come would be people i see from the gym, but don't necessarily know. i was really looking forward to going out, talking with new people, making new friends, and seeing sarah outside of the gym and outside of our "element".

we all met at pf changs for dinner and the first 4 people there were 2 couples that i see at STRIKE! all the time, so i sat down introduced myself and all of us starting chatting. more people came, more people from the gym i was able to met. it was a lot of fun. after dinner we went downtown to TRACKS night club. to dance. this was interesting. TRACKS is a gay night club. now i have been to one another gay night club in my life, that was in Minneapolis. however, this experience was completely different. the bartenders were super hott and shirtless!, they did have a woman's restroom but it was used as co-ed, and shirts were optional for all the guys in the club, in fact i saw 2 different guys with nothing but briefs on. as the club got more crowded and hotter more guys kept taking off their shirts! ...needless to say i was very over dressed! the club did play awesome music and i had a great time dancing. i do want to make another mention of the co-ed use of the bathrooms. it really wasn't that big of a deal, and it kinda makes sense. guys go to the bathroom much quicker, so the line moved faster! i actually liked it.

i forgot my camera so no pictures to document the night which really bums me out, but it was a great night to hang out with some great people, and start what i hope will be the beginning of some true friendships. it still shocks me a little to think that i have friends at the gym. to have created this lifestyle that i could go out to dinner and talk with a group of people about classes at the gym, about races, 5k's etc... i truly had no idea this person was in me.
50/50 60min
549

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I am glad that you were able to meet some new people!

Anonymous said...

And we are happy that you share and we can visulize you!

Love MOM

Emily said...

that is so scary to me--going out with no really good friends. I don't like being with people I don't know well because I'm afraid I'll say the wrong thing, or else I just sit quietly because I have nothing to add and then they'll think I'm a snob. Good for you, sounds like fun! Except for the shirtless dudes. That would make me uncomfortable I think.