Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Places I've Been: NM


oh new mexico. my true home. i was born and raised in albuquerque, nm. i lived there for the first 22 years of my life. i grew up in the house where my parents still reside in the Northeast heights. new mexico will always hold a very special place in my heart.

i love the closeness of the mountains, the red chile the green chile, and the sopapilla's. i love that my HS colors were silver and purple, and that everything is so close. i love the spanish names of the mountains (sandia, manzano) and the streets (paseo del norte, san mateo). i love my childhood memories of santa fe and carlsbad caverns. i love the mornings of the international balloon fiesta and breakfast burritos. i love that there is always a roadrunner living in my parents neighborhood and the small mountain right by my parent's house. i don't love that there always seems to be construction on I-40, that nobody seems to use their blinkers, and that slow drivers drive in the left hand lane. i love frontier and dion's. i loved my time at UNM and living on campus. i love that majority of my family is there and that it is so close. i love that i can say that i'm from new mexico but that i don't live there now.

in all honesty i don't think i'll ever return to albuquerque to live, and i'm not too sure why, mainly because i don't want to. i don't have any big reason, and i suppose if i did find a reason to move back i would, because there really isn't anything keeping me in denver. but there definitely isn't a reason to move back to albuquerque. sometimes i wonder if i'll ever regret not moving back because that is where my family and (some) friends are, but for me that isn't reason enough to move back.

new mexico will always be my home.

elliptical 30min
treadmill 30min

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I have very similar thoughts on ABQ - always been my home, won't ever live there again.

Nikki said...

ya, I agree. It's a beautiful place. I miss it!

Anonymous said...

Many great things about NM. It's my home. But it's not a great place to be single. I wish I'd lived outside of Albuquerque when I was young and single.

Emily said...

I love Albuquerque, and I would move back in a heartbeat. My husband had a job offer in Santa Fe a few years ago and it broke my heart that we couldn't move there. Santa Fe is just too expensive for the salary they were offering. Of course there are drawbacks to living there, but that's true anywhere you go.

Emily said...

And Jimmy, what are you talking about not a great place to be single? Did you forget that you dated ME there? And I'm the most awesome person ever, so...it must have been okay. :)

April said...

LOL emily. and YES you are the most awesome person ever!!!

Anonymous said...

Emily--yes, that's when things started getting better.

Just meant it would have been fun to live in a big city then, when I wasn't worried about supporting a family.