Saturday, June 6, 2009

It's Just Food


Three simple words. That as a fat person, those three words are super hard to get over. But it's great advice, right?! It's. Just. Food. My friend Tina gave me those words to ponder before my recent trip to see her. I was grown up to eat my food. All of my food, because if I didn't it was a waste. So as an adult that is how I am, even more so because I'm cheap. If I throw away food, to me it is just like money down the drain. So I have to go back, and tell myself "It's just food." It's ok if I don't eat it all. I don't have to eat it all. I'll be fine, if I don't eat it all. Life will go on as normal. These are just some samples of the conversations that on in my head, while eating, or planning to eat. Another thing I do a lot of, is plan my days around food. I don't know if everyone does this?, but I do. Especially on the weekends. Because majority of my weekends are spent alone. And I consider my Saturday and Sundays as "cheat" days. My days to go out to eat. Because I have a don't spend money during the week rule, that I try to follow Monday through Friday. Therefore I don't eat out Monday through Friday. So I decided when planning my weekend that I would treat myself to a Village Inn breakfast this morning after my water class. Well that didn't happen. For the first time ever I didn't wake up in time, and didn't make it to the class at 8:30am. No big deal, I just went to the gym later. I left for the gym around 9:30am. And I'm thinking "well since I won't be going to Village Inn, how can I treat myself?" (When I do the water class on Saturday mornings I get ready at the gym,...shower, do my hair etc..., so I leave the gym ready for the day, I don't do this with any other class, and I didn't want to have to come home get ready, and then leave the house just to go out to eat.) So I decided on the next best thing. McDonald's. Egg McMuffin with Sausage. Well McDonald's stops serving breakfast at 10:30am. By the time I get on the elliptical it's 9:45am. No way will I be able to get in my 45 minute workout, do my arms, and get breakfast. I say to myself "ok, just do 30 minutes of cardio, and don't do any weights. I'll get outta here at 10:15am, with time to go to McDonald's. This is your 6th workout this week, it's ok if I only work out 30 minutes. -April, what are you thinking, you are going to shorten your workout to go get McDonald's?! What is wrong with you?" I start picturing my drive to McDonald's from the gym in my head. I say to myself "Wait a minute. Close to McDonald's is Sonic. Sonic serves breakfast all day long. Oh, this is great, I can do my full workout and still get a fast food breakfast!" After that conversation I then change the time of my workout on the elliptical from 30 minutes to 45 minutes. After my cardio was done, I did my arms. After my arms, I left the gym, and got me a breakfast at 11am! Thank you Sonic!!!
So I guess this story has two sides. Well maybe only one side. The side of me that is trying. I am trying to watch what I'm eat, and how much I'm eating. But at the same time, I'm trying to do everything in moderation. This isn't a diet, this is a life change. And well my life will probably always have some sort of fast food in it. :) If I want a fast food breakfast(which in all honesty I rarely do) I will get it. And the good news was that, I didn't let food stop my full workout, which at first the food was going to stop my workout at 30 minutes - not a full workout. And I'm glad I found a solution to have it not interrupt my full workout.

2 comments:

Rachel P said...

I totally get what you're saying, April. I wish I didn't have such a love affair with food, but I do. I LOVE it and am almost always thinking about it. It's actually kind of sad, but it is what it is, I guess! I'm trying to eat better too, and eat smaller portions, but I still have a ways to go! Keep up the good work at the gym and I'll try to do the same. Although I don't think I will ever go 6 times in a week! ;-) I work out 3 times a week at the gym and play volleyball one night a week. That's good enough for me!

fotobug said...

I adore your honesty! :o)