Friday, June 5, 2009

Back in the day vs. Today

(via)
So back when I was young and I loved this time of year because I played outside until 7 or 8 o'clock at night, ride around the neighborhood on my bike or scooter. Playing with my friends. It was great, I loved it. I loved the freedom of being outdoors and riding on the street. But my parents taught me that when a car comes down the street, to get out of the way. I'm pretty sure parents don't teach their kids that anymore. Well not in my neighborhood at least. I live in an area of a bunch of small cul-de-sacs so their isn't a lot of traffic. But just about everyday kids are out riding their bikes in the middle of the street. And what do they do when they see me coming, in my car, that is much bigger than their bike? They continue to ride in the street. No fear, no fear what so ever. I don't get it. When I was young and I just thought I heard a car, I would ride so fast to the nearest driveway, it wasn't even fun. I was so scared I would get hit and killed by a car. And it makes me so nervous, because these kids continue to ride in the street, while I'm trying to get to my house. And of course, my house is the last of the cul-de-sacs. I'm not nervous that I'm going to hit them, I'm nervous that they'll make a move and hit me, which would be worse for them. But they continue along. So kids if you are reading this, please move from the street while running/moving cars are present. Thank you.

4 comments:

Emily said...

hi-larious, and so true.

fotobug said...

Sounds like you need to go into ice cream sales this summer.

Nikki said...

kids (and parents) these days :)

BTW Dan just told me that you have a nice looking blog :)

Anonymous said...

Next time, ride up on their *ss, lay on the horn and scare the **it out of them. Then they will get out of the way. The little stinkers need a little life's lesson on respect for adults and right of way on the streets!

Signed,

Mean Mommy :)