Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Book Review & Another Vacation

I finally finished Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. This book was a recommendation from Tina. For the most part her and I have similar reading tastes, but this book pretty much put me to sleep. I'm pretty sure Stephenie Meyer has ruined me, because her writing is very entertaining and so easy to read, but at the same time is just grabs you. Needless to say Frank McCourt's writing does not have that same flare. This book is part 1 of Frank McCourt's Memoir. He has a sequel: Tis, which I will not be reading. The sad part is that the story line for this book seems like it would be very entertaining, and to an extent it was because I wanted to finish it, but I also wanted to finish it because I have never not finished a book.
The book starts of in America with a young family who moved to Ireland during the depression of the 1930's. Frank is the eldest child, growing up in a very poor family, with an alcoholic as a father. Frank grows up going through childhood trying to earn a living to get back to America. One of the main reasons I wanted to finish this books is to find out if he ever makes it back to America.
I myself wouldn't recommend this book, because their were really times I just about fell asleep on the bus reading this book. I have found that most memoir's have a completely different style of writing. The author's. Which of course makes sense because it is the author's story to tell, and they can tell it how they want. But if you aren't used to that person's writing style it can take a while to get into the book. I would say that I liked this book fine. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible.
Katherine July 2008, 18mos.
In other news, I leave tomorrow morning for Rhode Island! This trip has been stressing me out, and I wish I could figure out a way to not stress out about it, but I can't. My flight leaves at 6am, which really sucks, and I have to catch the bus at 3:40am. NOT looking forward to that. But I'm really looking forward to seeing my family. I meet my parents in Atlanta, then fly into Providence. I get to spend time with my beautiful God Daughter Katherine, and meet her new baby brother Joshua. As far as workouts go, I'm kinda nervous. I'll be bringing a couple workout DVD's and hopefully I'll be able to do them. If I get a chance to workout, you will see a blog! If not, this could be the longest stretch without working out(or blogging), all year.

I'm soooooooooo excited for all the fabulous pictures I'll be taking of these super cute kids!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Just Me, Myself, and I: Book Review & Another Vacation" to our Directory of Pets . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Vaca-tion.info Team

http://www.vaca-tion.info

Nikki said...

Hey, thanks for the book review, I think I'll stay away from it for now. I am getting spoiled by Twilight too.

Have fun in RI, take tons and tons of pictures. My suggestion about workouts, take a walk on the beach. That counts.

Emily said...

Angela's Ashes is Dave's favorite book. For real. I've never read it, but he owns 3 copies of it and 2 of 'Tis.