Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dooce - pronounced "deuce"

Book Review.
Title: "It Sucked and then I Cried"
Author: Heather B. Armstrong creator of Dooce.com

I first saw this book when I was at Book People in Austin. Immediately I was drawn to the title. I mean, c'mon - it sucked and then i cried, genius. I had no idea it was a blogger book, until I actually picked it up at the library a few weeks ago. I like to think I'm pretty involved with the blogging world, and was surprised I had never heard of this blog before. From what I have read of her blog, I think her blog is better than her book. She is very repetitive in her book. Saying the same things. The books talks in detail about her pregnancy up to her daughter being 10 months old. Of course I can't empathize with her because I've never been pregnant and I've never had a baby, but I did love her honesty and needing help. She goes through what I call the "New Mom Blues". She gets postpartum depression. And she recognizes it and gets help for it.
I think too often in America we look at getting help or asking for help as a sign of weakness. Now I understand that Americans are extremely spoiled, but living in this country we live in, I feel like if we find something wrong and we want to fix it, we should be able to do what is necessary to fix it without feeling shameful. Her honesty was very candid and I can definitely appreciate that. She creates a good spin of humor on most things, which makes the book fun to read. I would definitely recommend this book to any Mom out their, because she takes you on a different road of Motherhood and honesty.
P.S. If you go to her blog and you're wondering what is "Daily Chuck", Chuck is their dog.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Cool, I was really curious about this book, thanks for the review.

Peg said...

Hey, It's Emily's Anut Peg again. I have read Dooce's blog for over a year now and she did a book tour for this book while 7 months pregnant with her second child. She was in Highlands Ranch for a book signing and reading and it was awesome! She is way funnier in person.

Emily said...

Neat! I had that post-partum blues deal but never got any help. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Reaching out is a sign of strength.
Why be in pain when you don't have to!! But easier said than done because 'pride' gets in the way.

Always there for you, Always;
Love and miss you,
Mom