Saturday, August 7, 2010

week 19: goodbye obese!

...hello overweight! this is a huge milestone for me. my BMI is no longer in the category of "obese" and is now "overweight". obviously not where i want it to be, but it is a necessary step to where i'm headed. i was hoping to hit this milestone last month, but better now than never. it's crazy to think that i have spent majority of my life in that "obese" category. easily the last 17 years i've been obese. how gross is that?! but, not anymore. i'm officially overweight and on my way to the normal weight category. it is so weird that i'm on the final part of this journey.

lately a lot of people have been asking me how i feel. they'll say "i bet you feel great." or "i bet you feel so much lighter." and in all honesty i have no idea how i feel. yes, of course i feel good, but majority of the time i feel out of place. like i don't belong here. like i'm trying to learn some foreign language but i'm actually learning it, but don't know how to use it. like i'm trying to lose weight and i'm actually losing it, but now i don't know what to do or what to think, or how to react. so many people who are my age know the feeling of having been skinny at one point or another in their life. i don't know that feeling.
let me be honest though. i joined my first gym when i was 20. that was the first time i started working out. although never for more than 4 or 5 months at a time...until i started working out in november 2008. during all of my little stints at the gym and all the times in between i had never really watched my diet. i do think when you are working out you do make healthier choices in regards to your food, but prior to what it is that i'm doing right now i had never really put myself on a "diet". and i like to think what i'm doing now isn't a diet, but more so a way of life. i'm learning what to eat, and what my body needs. when i was as big as i was i had moments of thinking of weight loss surgery. but i knew one of the "requirements" was you had to exhaust all other forms of weight loss to qualify for the surgery. and i knew that in my gut i hadn't. because i knew i had never really watched what it is that i put in my mouth.

this journey although not over, has already taught me so much. and i'm so thankful for everything that i have learned. because i know that i will be and that i am a better person.

i'm down 3 pounds this week! i'm a little bit nervous because i have something picked out as my final congratulations to myself for hitting my goal weight, and it's planned while i'm in albuquerque the second weekend in october. i'm ok if i'm not exactly at my goal weight at that time, but i do want to be within 10 pounds of that. and in order to do that i have to stay on plan. which is nerve-racking. but this week was exactly what i needed. i needed a good number to help motivate me, and get my confidence back after a not too hot july. thankfully this week supplied me with just that.
strictly strength 60min
442
-3lbs

6 comments:

sarahlove said...

Whether you lose or gain- every Saturday I enjoy going to the bottom of your blog just to see how far you have come on the little weight tracker.

Congrats on your BMI!!! I feel happy for you! :o)

Emily said...

wahoooooo!!!!

April said...

@ Sarah - i forgot to update the ticker when i wrote this. but it is updated now! :)

Rachel said...

DUDE! I am so excited for you! And so curious what you have planned to congratulate yourself! :-)

Nikki said...

That's great April! I am proud of you, you've been working so hard! I love seeing the progress. It doesn't matter if you make your goal by October, you still need to celebrate all the hard work you've done!

Enyonam said...

Congrats on leaving the obese squad! Love your blog and I'm following now. Hope you visit me sometime...