Friday, August 6, 2010

flashback friday ~ blog edition

so i'm thinking that pretty soon i'm going to close my myspace account because logging into it a few times a year, what's the point? i logged into myspace tonight, and checked out some stuff from my past. while surfing around i read a really old blog dated july 18, 2008 with the title: "my routine". i figured this would make a perfect post for flashback friday!
****************************************************************
So those that know me, know I remember dates, specifically since I have been oh about 20. But at my own embarrassment I'm going to go into much further detail, and I promise it will all come to a point at the end, but in order for me to get there I may ramble a little,...or a lot.

These "patterns" started when I moved to Denver. The first couple years I lived here, I traveled home a lot. Probably every chance I got, and majority of those times I would drive. It's about a 6.5 hour drive. And I would say about half of those trips were done by myself. I came up in my head, that each city has a parallel city. See:

Denver
Colorado Springs
Pueblo
Trinidad
Raton
Las Vegas
Santa Fe
Albuquerque

Driving North to South that is the order you reach each city. I imagine that if you have a map of just that area, and if you were to fold the map in half, the cities would match up.
Denver/Albuquerque
Colorado Springs/Santa Fe
Pueblo/Las Vegas
Trinidad/Raton
Do you see what I mean?

I do things in 2 hour increments during the drive. I try to start the first 2 hours listening to the radio-before I put in a CD. 2 hours until I start to use cruise control(this was only applicable for the last two trips.) One trip from my early years, I wrote down how many miles I traveled each hour. I prefer to leave at the top of an hour. So I can easily track my time. I love listening to soundtracks while on the road. It's the best way to listen to the whole soundtrack-specifically if it is for a musical. My favorite is "Blood Brothers". My all time favorite play. Last weekend I was home for my 10 year HS reunion. I've always wanted to see if I could travel all 460 miles without stopping. Well driving back to Denver, I succeeded! No stop for gas, and no stop for the bathroom.-this is another one of my "things". I drink a lot of water. While on the road I only allow myself one drink of water every 30-45 minutes. Because if I drank the amount of water I normally do, I would be needing to stop every hour to go the bathroom. So I very proud of myself, and my car!, for not stopping. And I love cruise control. It is great. I usually stop 4 hours into the trip. Las Vegas if I'm Southbound. Pueblo if I'm Northbound. I do this, because it is a little more then half way. And I've always been one to do things later, so the last part of whatever it is I am doing, goes quicker. Ok, I know I have some other weird habits while on my long drive, but that's all I can think of for now.

Moving on. The gym. I do the elliptical trainer for 45 minutes. This is a long time. And I have to keep myself entertained. This is what I bring with me when I'm doing my cardio. Water bottle, magazine, ipod, and headband.
The first 10 minutes I do nothing. Just run on the elliptical. I used to watch TV, but my eyes have gotten much worse, and can no longer read the print on the TV. So usually I stare at the numbers, and the person on the magazine cover for motivation-specifically face and arms. (The face for me, is usually the first place you can notice I am losing weight, and arms because I want thinner arms.)
After 10 minutes I put on my headband, to stop the sweat because this is when I really start to sweat. Then I drink some water.
I also about every 7-10 minutes reverse and go backwards for 1 minutes, always at a 30 second mark. For the first 10 seconds, I go as fast as I can-it helps the 60 seconds for faster(in my head).
10-15minutes I go back to doing nothing-just running.
Between 15-20 minutes, I put my ipod in my ears and turn it on, and start listening to music. 10-20 always seems to go a lot slower than the first 10 minutes.
I listen to music for about 15 minutes, then I start reading the magazine. I read the magazine up until I reach 40 minutes. At 40 minutes I put the magazine away, and do the cool down for the last 5 minutes. I think I put the magazine away at 40 minutes, because I like for the magazine to last me awhile(I'm cheap, and don't want to have to buy another magazine, and it's always a magazine, never a book.)
And at every 10 minute mark, I drink water. So, at 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and 4 minutes. I try to go through a whole water bottle, but never the whole bottle. Then I always do my last 1 minute backwards at 42:30. Always. Again, a little bit more than half way through the cool down. Yesterday and today while doing cardio-I thought about this blog, all of the weird details I am now admitting to. This whole blog idea started yesterday when I was at the gym. I got on my machine to this guy who was crazy. I get on the elliptical that doesn't have the moving arm parts-and this guy turns all the way around on the machine, facing completely backwards, and he does that for maybe 2 or 3 minutes, and then turns back around, facing forward on the machine. He also at one point in time starting singing out loud, with his ipod. I wanted to laugh so hard, but didn't want to be rude(this was before I had started playing my own ipod). I had once read a magazine article(while working out) about gym etiquette. And one of things on there, was people singing out loud with their ipod. I thought in my head, no-no one would ever do that. Now, granted, it has been tempting at times, but I always stop myself. And I've been going to the gym on and off(mostly off) for 8 years, and I had never seen this happen. So when this guy start singing, it took all I had to not physically laugh out loud. And so the result of this guy singing, started the idea of this blog.

Do any of you have weird habits to help time go by? Or is it just me? I'm thinking it is just me, but I might just be pleasantly surprised.

So sadly, I think I lied. I'm pretty sure that after all of that, I made no point, just rambled. But I still hope that you enjoyed!


****************************************************************

very rarely do i have a workout on the elliptical anymore. but if i were to spend 45 minutes on that machine my routine is indeed exactly the same!
treadmill 60min
596

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I bet your eyes are different now with the surgery. Can you now see the print on the screen?

April said...

nikki, not really. b/c the ellptical machines are all the way in the back. but if i'm on the treadmill and go to one that is up front, yes i can read the TV. :)