Monday, July 19, 2010

The Places I've been: OH


Columbus, OH

when i was 19 i got a job at a call center, working for victoria's secret catalogue. my official title was "sales consultant". i took catalogue orders over the phone. it was my first full time job, and for the most part i really liked it. i made good money, and met my dear friend tina there. victoria's secret is part of the Limited family, and their headquarters are in Columbus, OH where the other call center was located. i believe it was the summer of 1999 or 2000 when i decided to try and get out of NM and move to columbus to work and go to school. i applied to Ohio State University, and got accepted, and made an appointment with the director of the call center to take a tour upon my trip to columbus. as another one of her daughter's "crazy" idea's, my mom was on board as well!
i was so excited for this trip! in fact the night before this trip was when i got my first speeding ticket. for those of you that know the Albuquerque area, the VS call center is technically in Rio Rancho which i guess would be considered a suburb of Abq. so my commute from work to home (i was living with my parents at the time) was 40 miles. at the time i worked until 1am, and was speeding home excited for my trip, and anxious to try and get some sleep before waking up early to catch a plane the next(same) morning. i was heading East on I-40 when i saw the flashing lights. speeding ticket for april.
anyways.
i had never been to that part of the country before, and i remember going in the fall, i think september or october? it was beautiful. my mom and i really enjoyed our trip. i set up a tour of the OSU campus, and i loved it! at the time i was attending TVI (a junior college in NM) and i loved the feel of campus life while walking around OSU. ....i guess this was the fall of '99 now that i think of it, because i'm pretty sure it was spring '00 when i first lived on campus and when i transferred to UNM. moving on.
the campus was gorgeous, and everyone was so nice. the tour of the call center was equally as nice! i immediately saw myself living there, and making a life for myself. unfortunately it was the out of state tuition that stopped me from going.
instead i immediately decided TVI wasn't where i wanted to go, and that i wanted a true college experience from the start. (the original college plan was to go to TVI for a couple of years then transfer to Colorado College in Colorado Springs for the rest.) once i got back home from OH i applied to UNM, got accepted, got my credits transferred over, and good approval to live in the dorms in which i wanted, and started at UNM in january 2000. wow, looking at the timeline a lot happened in a really short amount of time. because i started working at VS in may 1999. i remember feeling proud and accomplished that i set out to do something, and i got it done.
i would definitely love to go back to that part of the country one day and hang out some more in the "mid-west".
treadmill 15min
50/50 60min
732

5 comments:

Nikki said...

That is a lot to happen in a short amount of time. I've heard that Ohio State is a nice campus, and it really has a true college feel to it (whereas UNM doesn't really). But I've never been. And, ya out of state tuition is a beast!

Anonymous said...

yes, yes wonderful great memories.

We did have a great time.

Love MOM

Sarah Zook said...

Ohio State was a great time for me. Love that school. I'd go back if I could!!

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I've ever been to Ohio...If so, it was just passing through..Sounds nice. We have quite a few friends from there and I love all my friends from the midwest! They are down to earth and fun to hang out with.:) -Kari

Emily said...

My good friend Duncan went to Medical school at Ohio State and they (he and his wife) LOVED it there. They still talk about the fun of living in Ohio and especially OSU football. There's nothing else like it, according to them. Now he's doing residency at UCLA and they love CA but want to move back to OH just for the feel of the midwest.