Friday, July 16, 2010

my HOA story

the back - facing the rocks
the side - facing the grass
the side - facing the grass
so not that anyone really cares, but i have to get the frustrations with my HOA out in the open. so here are the details.

this story dates back to the summer of 2006. which happens to be the first summer i was in my home. coincidentally the previous home owner, was on the HOA committee or whatever. so i figured all of my "stuff" would be good in the eyes of the HOA police.
no such luck.
my first summer living in that house, i got a letter stating that my fencing stain had a purplish tint, and that color wasn't approved by the HOA and to powerwash it off.
my fence has 2 sides, 1 side facing the grass, 1 side facing the rocks. the "purplish tint" was only on the side facing the grass.
my first summer i was clueless. honestly i thought i could get away with ignoring this letter, because i didn't know any better. thankfully since it was my first year in the home the HOA didn't do anything.
jump to summer 2008.
i get the same letter from my HOA telling me that i need to powerwash my fence. i knew i wouldn't get lucky like i did my first summer, and knew i had to take care of it. thankfully my neighbors at the time had a powerwasher. and my dad powerwashed that side of the fence during my parents annual summer trip to visit me. i figured everything was all taken care of, because i did what the letter from the HOA asked me.
jump to summer 2009.
i get another letter from the HOA stating that i need to put a clear stain on my fence. so i go out and purchase a clear stain, and stain the side of the fence facing the grass, since that was the side that was powerwashed the summer prior. again, i figured everything was all taken care, because i did what the later from the HOA asked of me.
jump to summer 2010.
i get a fine from the HOA for $25.00. the letter has no indicator what this fine is for. i assume it is for a late payment. i check my checking account and see that the monthly check sent to the HOA was cashed on the 1st of the month. i call the HOA advise them that my payment was on time, and that my check has cleared. at that time on the phone, i'm advised the fine is not for a late payment, but because of my fence. that the stain isn't noticeable. i let them know that they wanted me to stain the fence a clear stain. they advise that they now have approved stain colors to stain my fence. i advise them that i didn't know that. so i go out and i purchase the approved stain and stain my fence.
i then get a letter in june telling me that the fine is still due. so i call them up again, to ask why? and what the fine is for? at that time they tell me over the phone that i need to stain the part of the fence facing the rocks. i tell them, that they have never once communicated this to me. that since the beginning they only distinguished the side of the fence with the "purplish tint". and that had i known i needed to do the back of the fence as well, i would have done the powerwashing and the staining at.the.same.time. i told them that i would get it done, but that i didn't feel i should have to pay the fine. i was then advised to come to the HOA meeting that was last wednesday. the weekend before that my parents were here, and my dad yet again powerwashed the fence. this time, he did the back side of the fence. i attended the HOA meeting last wednesday let them know that half of the job was done, and that i would be staining the fence the approved color (because i still had some left over from staining the side facing the grass) the following weekend.
i did that last weekend.
i called the HOA on Monday to let them it it is done.
i haven't heard anything back yet.
my goal is to have a summer where i don't here from them at all.
then end.
core 30min
treadmill 40min
412

8 comments:

RobotFrost said...

Do what you're told and don't ask questions, peasant!

http://hoahell.com/

reflections said...

and that is just ONE of the reasons I will never, ever, ever, ever, EVER live in a home with an HOA. EVER. I think it is complete crap to buy a home and be told how to live in it. What colors, plants, trees, rocks are 'acceptable'. Do I love the purple house up the street from us? Uh, no! However, it is their home, they are the ones paying for it, it is their prerogative as to what color to paint it. Getting all insane about stain colors and tints is STUPID. We looked into a new home in an HOA when we were looking to buy our house and reading through all that made me jump up and run.

Sorry you have to deal with this :( I think it is UTTER bulls***.

Anonymous said...

HOA's are a pain in the a** sometimes! I get a letter every other week from mine. Seriously! I actually think its the neighbor across the street from me... who complains. From what I hear, that's all she does. As a Realtor, I see how HOA's can be beneficial to any given neighborhood. However, I think the employees/volunteers tend to get on a power trip and lose sight of what their intended purpose for the neighborhood actually is. Your fence issues are rediculous! Be sure to document every bit of correspondence between you and the HOA, including photos of your fence and timelines. I would also have them sign documentation, accepting your fence as it is now, including the photos, so that you have good documentation for contesting their harrassment, should they decide to pick on you again. -Kari

Nikki said...

INSANE! They are bullies! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!

sarahlove said...

Oh gosh. If I were you I'd paint it pink and pay the yearly fee. JUST TO HAVE A PINK FENCE. (And to have some humor in my life!!)

Seriously sounds like they have nothing better to do.

I liked your purplish tinted fence!

sarahlove said...

And what about your neighbors!?!?! Their fence looks like a dried up fire hazard.

Sorry, just venting with you....

Anonymous said...

I think we should put a curse on the HOA, all of them!!!

Let it ride.

Love MOM

Emily said...

okay, so i have to fight for the other side. i'm the hoa president of my condo and it is a horrible, terrible, thankless, CRAAZY job. but somebody has to do it. yes, your situation is completely ridiculous and they sound like morons. but the rules are there for a reason. do you want your neighbor having a neon pink fence? do you think that would deter people from buying your house when you eventually want to sell? absolutely. i don't think approved colors are unreasonable. i ran for president because i was the only person who cared--literally, not one other person ran--and i have done this horrible job for a year and i HATE it. everybody blames me when something is wrong and it's not my fault, and then when i try to do something about it they're mad at me again. i don't get paid, i spend hours and hours a week trying to get things done, and in the end everybody hates me. UGH. but, we have very nice new light poles, our pool is finally open, and the locks were changed on the clubhouse--THANKS TO ME. so, thank your hoa president and paint your fence. :)