Saturday, August 1, 2009

Weekly Re-Cap

St Julien Hotel, Boulder, CO
I've had a great week. Things were very productive and fulfilling at work. Every summer the department I work for puts on an event called The Advisory Council, or AC for short. The Advisory Council members are our Top Partners. They come into town to basically tell us what we are doing good, and what we need to improve upon. Basically they bring us in the most money, so we truly value their opinion. This year it was in Boulder at the St Julien Hotel. On Tuesday 7/28 we held a pre-AC meeting in Boulder, with my boss, his directors, and the marketing team. I was invited to go as well. At first I really didn't want to go, but it was nice to get out of the office. For lunch we all drove to Sandy's (my boss) house (he lives in Boulder) for lunch. This was a nice little get away, and I was super excited because I got to meet his wife! It was a good day.
Wednesday 7/29 was the first official day of the Advisory Council, and it was the activity day. A group went golfing, and another group went on a hike. I unfortunately wasn't invited for the fun part, so I was in the office. But that night I had a good date with P, at the Melting Pot. It was very nice. P had never had fondue before, so it was an extra special treat for him.
Thursday 7/30 was the 2nd day of the Advisory Council, and it was the meeting day. I headed back to Boulder for the day, to take notes, and get what my boss needed. The meeting wasn't all that exciting for me, just because I don't really know what everyone is talking about. But I got a lot of stuff done. I worked literally side by side with Sandy, which was a first, and helped us with creating some rapport with one another. After the long day, we all went to have dinner at Brasserie Ten Ten. This was a great dinner. Sandy brought Christie (Sandy's wife). At one point Sandy was out of his seat talking, so I decided to go and talk with Christie. She was asking me if I was working tomorrow (Friday) and I said yes, but that I was planning on asking Sandy if I could come in late. Christie responded, by saying I'll approve it for you, of course you can go in late. As Sandy comes by Christie tells Sandy that I'm coming in late. Sandy says that that's fine. Then he asks me "are you exempt or non-exempt?" I say "I don't know, but I do have to track my time daily."
Sandy: "Then you are working right now. You need to make sure you leave early tomorrow. You need to make sure to keep me on track about this, because my time is different."
at this point in time it is almost 9pm.
Me: "Well I did get hear at 7:30am."
Sandy: "Then I say you just call tomorrow a day. Take tomorrow off."
Me: "Really?!"
...do I have the coolest boss ever?! Needless to say, I had yesterday off! It was awesome. Now Monday will be a crazy day, because I do have a lot to do, but it was super nice. Sandy recognized me quite a bit throughout the past week, and it was super nice. It is so nice to be at the place in a job where you feel like you know what you are doing, but not only that, you are good at doing it. I know I have improvements to make, but for the most part everything is going great!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my GOSH I love the Melting Pot. It is my FAVORITE. I'm a little jealous you got to go there for a date. We have to save it for, like, our golden anniversary and stuff like that. Sounds like a really good week, and a REALLY nice boss!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad work is going so well for you, it's great having a good relationship with your boss. And, I'm jealous of your Melting Pot date, too! THat place is so fun.