Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"The Reading Group"

I just got done with reading The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble. My friend Tina recommended this book to me. We spoke while I was almost 100 pages in, and I told her I was having trouble getting into it. The book itself doesn't really have a beginning. Before the book starts the author has a break down of each character, and that is your introduction to them. You don't really get to know the character by reading about them. So for about the first 1oo pages I kept having to go to the front of the book to read about the character. I didn't really like that, because for me that made it harder to connect to the characters. Once I got over that hump, the book gets very good. In movies and books I can never predict what is going to happen. And this book as some very unpredictable twists, that just make you want to keep reading, to find out what is going to happen.

The book takes place in Europe over a 12 month period. It focuses on 6 different women, a couple are close friends, all are different ages, and all are going through different times in their life. And they all belong to a reading group. At the beginning all are acquaintances and by the end they are all friends.

This book made me think about how easily my life can change. Needless to say I'm waiting for that change. But at the same time trying to tell myself that I can be happy if it doesn't change. I know how blessed I am in my life, but I want more. Is that bad?! I hope not, because I'm hoping!

No comments: