Wednesday, December 1, 2010

i'm obsessed

I’m obsessed with my numbers. Not my weight…although I am obsessed with that but in an entirely different way. I’m obsessed with my workout numbers. I’m super close to achieving my over achiever goal that I set at the beginning of the year of 247 workouts for 2010, and I still have a whole month left of working out. I look at my number of workouts frequently. I keep a count on my blog and on my calendar in my room. I count them just about every single day when I go and add that “w” on my calendar after a workout. It’s a bit crazy if you ask me. But I have to do it. At the beginning of each month I look at the calendar and count out how many workouts I want to get in and add that to my total thus far. And now with the year coming to a close I’m looking at averages, how many days I went without a workout, and what my goals could be for next year etc... One thing that I love about that this year is that every single workout has a blog to match. Last year I had two additional workouts where I couldn’t blog, so my numbers don’t quite match. Not this year. This year my post count and my workout count should match exactly!

December is going to be tricky because I’ll be home for a week at Christmastime and lots of holiday parties etc…but I think I should be able to get in at least 19 workouts in this month, that’s my goal anyways. If I do that I’ll end the year at 258! And if that is the case why not make it a pretty number and try to shoot for 260?! We will see. Heck and since I do play around with the numbers I might as well go for 264, that’ll be an even average of 22 workouts a month! Ok, so that’s not going to happen…that would mean 25 workouts this month, and I really don’t think I can do that. I might just have to end the year at an average of 21 which is not bad considering last year’s average was 19.5. Are you seeing this? Do you see what I do? Add, subtract, divide, it’s craziness I tell you, just crazy. And even crazier? I love every single part of it!!!

I was reading back almost 2 years ago about my goals, and remembering who I was at that time, and comparing her to who I am now. How I have become this gym rat. Me, a gym rat?! I wrote that my goal was to workout at least 12 days a month, and that ideally I want to workout 20 days a month, but that I want to be realistic. Well my current reality is at least 20 workouts in a month! I remember thinking that 2 years ago, and how 20 seemed impossible even though it was a goal of mine and now what used to seem impossible is now my norm. I would have never guessed that I would describe myself as a gym rat. It’s weird because there are a small number of us who are obsessed with the gym. You may not know them, but you know who they are because you see them every time you are the gym, so you know that they are there just as often as you. Almost like you know they are crazy…crazy in a good way of course. Yesterday after my barbell class I went out where all the cardio equipment was and ran into 4 people that I know….gym rats just like myself. They are my friends, and I am so happy that we can be crazy obsessed gym rats together!

Speaking of my crazy friends (God how I love 'em), walking into the gym today I see my friend Kortny who says to me "You going to class?" I say: No. ...I was well prepared with a newly charged ipod and magazine to do some time on the elliptical and the treadmill. When she convinces me to do a class called Total Conditioning which is taught by Scott. I'm intimidated by Scott, plus I'm intimidated by any new class. Not a good combination. But I did the class and I survived to write about it. Not too sure if I'll try it again, although I already know that I will...but it won't be willingly. So thanks to my friends for giving me a push to try something different.
total conditioning 60min

3 comments:

sarahlove said...

WOW!!! I thought I was the only person OCD enough to count things like that from the beginning. It makes it more gratifying. I used to do that when I kept a running journal. Thank goodness I am not the only one. Thank you April!

When will you be in town?

Nikki said...

I am glad you tried a new class, that is good to have friends that push you! It's a good place to be out of your comfort zone every once and awhile.

Anonymous said...

WOW..If I could only check my mail and balance my checkbook like you count your workouts...I am sorry, but I cannot relate to that kind of OCD. Wish I could...but I did get the bulk of my Xmas shopping done before Dec. 1st this year, as opposed to the 24th...Baby steps!! ;) -Kari