Monday, November 10, 2008

My Golden Rule


First I have to say I love coming into work Monday mornings with new blogs to read! I'm usually blogless on the weekends, and it's great catching up on my friends first thing during the week. It was like I shared part of the weekend with you! Thanks!


I have a few things to write about, specifically things that happened this weekend. But that will come a little later. First I have to write about riding on the bus. The bus I ride to/from work is a big bus, not too sure how many people can fit on the bus with a seat(I've thought about counting before, but never have) but I know it is a lot. And of course when you are sitting so close to someone it is tight, specifically now that colder weather is coming, and people are wearing their big winter coats.


In general I have a rule I like to follow within my life: Treat others how you want to be treated. In my opinion it is simple, but a lot of people make it very complicated. Which is just really frustrating to me. Although sometimes I think this rule can make me insensitive. I don't offer things unless I truly am ready to give. I have a ton of examples of this, but I'm trying to think of how to say what I want to say. I'm going to keep it simple. For example, you are invited to a party, you RSVP that you'll go. Then you don't go. Now, I understand last minute things come up, specifically if you have kids etc... For me, if I wasn't going, or wasn't planning on going, I just would RSVP no, I can't go. It just frustrates me when people say they will do something, and then don't do it. The way I think this makes me insensitive is because I don't offer things, just to offer them. Like helping someone set up for a party, helping someone move etc.... Now, keep in mind I DO offer when I plan on someone taking me up on my offer. I just don't offer for the sake of offering. Does that make sense? More times than not I notice that is what people do. They just offer, just to offer. And then when you ask them for their help they don't help. Then why did you offer in the first place?!


Moving on. This morning as I got onto a already packed bus their was a seat next to this man. I sat next to him just to find he was pretty much hogging both seats. He had his legs spread open like all his manliness couldn't just take his right leg and bring it closer to his left leg, so that I could possibly have a little bit more room. But noooooooooo. I'm pretty sure this is the second time I've sat next to this man. And it is just so frustrating. I'm seating their with pretty much half of my body out of the seat, with people walking by me going towards the back of the bus hitting me with all of their stuff. How rude of this man, to take up 3/4 of this small space and to literally keep me hanging. I couldn't help but think, would this man want to sit down next to someone who was taking up majority of the seat, when they don't have to be, sit down and make the person next to you uncomfortable for the 40 minute bus ride downtown? No, he wouldn't want that, so why he is putting me through that. My Golden Rule: Treat others as you want to be treated. It wasn't until we got downtown that he decided to move his leg a little big closer to his other let. And really by that time, what's the point. I'm getting off of the bus in 5 minutes. Really? I just found it frustrating.


That is my lesson for today.

3 comments:

Emily said...

all those things we learn in kindergarten still apply, don't they?! so frustrating, sorry dude.

reflections said...

Seriously, what an asshat! I'm sorry :(
Next time, I vote, you say something because a) he may just be super dense or b) he may just be mean or c) he may just be selfish...any way you cut it without you saying something he will continue that way. And if he does despite you saying something then at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that indeed, it is not, a.

Nikki said...

Stinko, April. I hate when that happens. I am sure that made the commute much more stressful than it needed to be.