Sunday, October 5, 2008

My first 5k!




















I finished my first 5k today! I did Race for the Cure. It was an amazing experience. I have a bunch of pictures, but I can't really figure how to post them all. Which bugs me because I really want to share the pictures with you. I'll post what I can. ...so the pictures didn't come out at all like I wanted to. I have all of them posted on myspace.
I crossed the Start line at 7:08am and crossed the Finish line at 8:02am. My goal was to finish in an hour, and was very happy when I finished in 54 minutes. I walked majority of it, as did everyone else. I ran about 4 different times, which was difficult to do because everyone else around me was walking. The numbers for this years race is over 62,000! I had no idea it would be that many people. I saw lots of amazing woman, and men. I saw one man run ahead of me without a shirt, with pink ribbon painted on his back, wearing a pink wig in a pony tail, pink tights and a pink tutus. It made all of women walking around him cheer him on! They had lots of entertainment along the way. Bands playing, women singing, and a man wearing a pink boa. I saw a house with pink ribbons decorating the outside of his house, and a little old women cheering us on with a pink pom pom. The race started right in front of Elitch Gardens, and took us right along Invesco Field, onto Colfax Avenue. It was amazing. I over heard a women say she even had pink ribbons on her underwear! I got too see Denver as the sun came up, and got lots of free stuff! It was amazing. It was a great experience. And now I know this will be an annual event! I really enjoyed doing it by myself. I think I was able to really enjoy it, and go at my own pace. Thanks to all the people who donated and gave their support! I'm already super sore, and am not looking forward to tomorrow, plus a couple of growing blisters! Not fun, but SO worth it!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, congratulations dude! What a great cause. you're awesome.

Rachel said...

That's awesome, April! :-) Good job beating your goal time!