Monday, October 27, 2008

Barack Obama

Taken from the slideshow @ 9news.com
I support Barack Obama. I voted for Barack Obama on Thursday. I'm not telling you to vote for Barack, I'm just telling you about my support for him.



Yesterday I went to a early voting rally in Denver at Civic Center Park, in Denver, where Obama spoke. You can read the news stories here and here, because I know I just won't do it justice.



Their were over 100,000 people at this rally. Now to put in perspective their were over 62,000 people at the Race for the Cure 5k. So I've been a part of 2 very big crowds in Denver this October! Crazy. ...But it gets me VERY excited when I think about it. The park opened at 10am, and Obama was to start speaking at 11:30am. For some reason I was thinking their wouldn't be that big of a turn out, since the DNC was here, and lots of people (I'm sure) have already seen Barack speak. Plus since I read about John McCain's visit to Albuquerque* on Saturday, and the fact that his crowd wasn't even a a full one, for some reason I figured neither would Obama's. ...I was very wrong. I left my house around 9am, and got downtown a little before 9:30am. I'm walking with the crowd to find the end of this line of people waiting. This HUGE line. While walking I was listening to a conversation with the people saying they were estimating about 25,000 people to show up. Boy, were they wrong! This line was about 10 blocks in length, and 2 blocks in depth, until I made it to the end. And people kept walking beyond me, so who knows how long this line really got. It was a like a concert. Tons and tons of volunteers, and vendors. People selling Barack Obama everything-stickers, pins, t-shirts, sweatshirts, beanies, towels, flags etc... Once I got inside the park, right around 11am it was PACKED! I walked around trying to find a place where I could see the stage-no such luck. They had a few speakers come on a little after 11:15am, with hip hop music playing in between, chants of "Obama" filling the crowds, and a couple attempts of people doing The Wave. Just like a concert the headliner came out late. Barack didn't take the stage until almost noon, but spoke for 40 minutes. It was amazing, and gave me chills. I had a little girl who was on her dad's shoulders take a picture of him for me. Then I had to have the dad tell me where he was in the picture. This guy's zoom on his camera was much better than mine, so I had him point him out to me. In the picture you can't really see him, and I'll probably post the pics so you can see, but it will probably be only me that knows where he is. I was sad that I myself didn't get to physically see him, but I did get to hear him and be a part of the crowd.



*On a side note, my cousin Kari's husband Larry is in a pretty popular band in Albuquerque called Missing Stateside. Kari and her husband are very strong McCain supporters. And one of the other members in the band-JD is related to Sarah Palin-2nd cousin I believe. Well originally some female country star was suppose to open for McCain in Albuquerque on Saturday, but she canceled. And the opener was replaced by Missing Stateside. How cool is that?! Even cooler, they got to meet him and get pictures with him. Supposedly Ben Harper was the opener for Obama-I didn't hear him, so maybe he had done his thing before I got there.



It was a great experience, and I'm so glad I went!

4 comments:

Emily said...

we heard about the crowd on the news here, it was a really big deal. i can't believe you were there!

reflections said...

The cookies are a TON of work! Give me your snail mail, next time I make some I'll send some to you :) We made a triple batch, so it was pretty obnoxious!


Yay for supporting your candidate! He was here on Saturday night, at Johnson Field. I wanted to go but I had the JDRF carnival already planned and after that I was just plain pooped!

reflections said...

Scentsy bars are wax, they go in Scentsy burners and smell amazing! Look at my links and at Brandi's scentsy page. If you ever decide to try it you can order it from her and have it shipped to you.

snail mail is your home addy :D
<3

Boquinha said...

How AWESOME that you went. I think that's fabulous!!