Thursday, December 11, 2008

Reading




I love to read. I wish I knew this about myself when I first started HS. I probably would have gotten much better grades. I just finished reading "The Time Travelers Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. Great book, and an easy read considering it is 500+ pages. I let the size of a book intimidate me, and I really shouldn't let that happen. I think I let that happen, because I'm a really slow reader.


The book is a little bit confusing to follow at first, but once you get into the characters it is very delightful. I didn't really like the ending of this book, but I find that I don't really like the ending of most books, just because I don't want the book to be over. When you google this book, it says it is going to be made into a movie with Clare being played by Rachel McAdams(love her). The last release date was November 2008-well this movie hasn't been released, so does that mean it is shelved and it won't ever be released as a movie? I hope not, I would love to see this book as a movie.


I remember one of the first times I started reading as an entertainment value was when I was a Junior in HS and my friend Emily let me barrow a book by Mary Higgins Clark. I loved it, and finished the book quick. I remember being at home in my bedroom after school and calling my mom upset that I didn't have a car so I could drive to the library to get a book. I was so upset. It was one of those teenager moments where I seriously thought it was the end of the world! -melodramatic, never! ha! Plus the library was super close to my parents house, I'm not too sure why I didn't just walk, if I wanted a book that bad. Anyways, I was into Mary Higgins Clark for a while. Then in college my friend Tina recommended Janet Evanovich, and her Stephanie Plum series. To this day I love this series!


And now I read like crazy.


Last night I started "The Reading Group" and in the front of the book they reference a book I had remembered reading in HS. So it made me do some research on the books I read in HS. I googled "books to read in high school" and it really came up with a bunch I can't wait to go back and read. -I have decided this will be my new project-once I read all the books on my current "to read" list. My favorite in HS was "Native Son", I'm really looking forward to that one. I am remember reading this book my Senior year of HS in my honors English class with Mr. Usmar. I think that this book was the first book I actually read and didn't have to get the cliffnotes. I remember him giving pop quizzes on the book, and always knowing exactly what the answer was. ...majority of my HS pop quizzes, I had NO idea what the answer was. But for this class, I was that student.


I had completely forgotten about "Animal Farm". Is it nerdy that I'm so completely excited about reading?! And is it bad I talk about my HS days a lot on my blog, considering that was more than 10 years ago?!


Who cares, it is my blog, I'll write about what I want to write about!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry - the film is scheduled for a 2009 release. It was recently completed and now has a rating. Just waiting on an official release date from New Line/Warner Bros.

Tara Bennett said...

OK. I feel like the universe is speaking to me. I've heard about this book from three or four people now. I guess I better read it!

Rachel said...

I remember Animal Farm, now that you mention it! I re-read Brave New World about a year ago... I like re-reading books fro HS - don't do it often enough, but I enjoy it when I do. I appreciate them much more when I don't have to read X number of chapters tonight for the quiz tomorrow. :-)

April said...

Thanks Anonymous reader, good to know!

Check it out Tara-great book!

True true Rachel!

Emily said...

IMDB says it will be released in 2009. Oh, somebody already said that. Oh well.

I LOVE reading. If I could do nothing else but read I would be a very happy person. I've re-read a lot of the books from high school (except "for whom the bell tolls" EGADS I hate Hemingway...but my husband loves him) and love them a lot more now than I did then. Brave New World and Animal Farm were two of my favorites. I also really liked Spring Moon.

Have you ever read Dick Francis books? I don't know if you care about horse racing but I LOVE it and he writes books all about steeplechase horse racing. Well, the books are murder mysteries, but the characters are always involved in horse racing (jockeys, trainers, owners, etc.). They're set in England and loads of fun, plus he started writing in the '60s so there are a ton of them.

Are you on goodreads?

Sara said...

Thanks for visiting me! I LOVED the Time Travelers Wife so much that I bought it in hardback for my "someday" library!

April said...

IMDF-I know it says it is going to be released in 2009, but when?! The fact that the date has changed so much, and the fact that it doesn't have a specific date in 2009 scares me.

Goodreads? No, what is goodreads?!