Thursday, June 16, 2016

Recent Happenings

I feel the need to get some things off of my chest in regards to the horrific events that have happened in Orlando since Saturday night.

My pastor wrote and shared the above post and it really spoke to me.  The horrible shooting or any shooting for that matter sends chills down my spin.  My first thought is to my kids.  I realize that parents always have fears, but this just pulls at my heartstrings.  It's so easy to live in fear, as I realize anything can happen at anytime. But this.  This terrifies me.  I hate that one day I'll have to explain to my kids these types of events.  What do I say?  How do I explain?  Parenting is hard, but this.  I didn't sign up for this.
I think of the innocent lives lost.  Now it seems, that going out on a Saturday night for some fun and dancing, is now no longer just fun and dancing.  Just how going to the movies, is no longer just going to the movies.  Or attending school.  Why can't we be safe living our life?  I've watched the video of Anderson Cooper naming all 49 victims one by one, it's so sad.  All day Sunday I wanted nothing to do with it.  I didn't want to watch any coverage or hear anything about it. I remember on 9/11 watching all of the coverage.  I couldn't get enough of it.  It was like driving by a bad car accident.  I couldn't NOT look.  I had to know what was going on, I wanted to know all of the details.
But this time.  I didn't want to look.  I didn't want to know what happened.  I immediately went numb.  Who knows if it was because I was only 21 when 9/11 happened or the fact that an event like that was "new", and now I'm 36 and have kids, and events like this are now the "norm".  But I just don't want to know.  I purposefully didn't watch the news.  In fact I still haven't really watched a lot about it.  I don't care to know about the shooter or any of the those details.  My focus as been on praying. Praying for the families for those who lost someone and praying for those recovering in the hospital.

We truly are all the same.  In the words of Ellen "Be kind to one another."

No comments: