Alright ladies, I'm in need of your opinions, help, advice, input, etc...
I had my last growth ultrasound yesterday and baby is already more than 8 pounds, I don't remember the exact number, as I know the ultrasound can be off by a pound, but baby is BIG. And will gain another 1/2 a pound for the next 3 weeks. Right now the doctor doesn't want me going to my due date (5/17), and I'm currently set to be induced on the evening of May 13th (I'll be 39 weeks 4 days at that time). Yesterday the doctor offered me the option of doing a scheduled c-section once I hit 39 weeks (5/10).
The main risk with having both a diabetic mom and a big baby is shoulder dystocia, which is why the doctor wants to do the c-section. Although the risk is small (less than 10%) shoulder dystocia could put my baby's life at risk.
I honestly don't know what to do. I left the doctor's office yesterday feeling so overwhelmed. In the past I've heard of women feeling "less of a woman" when they couldn't deliver vaginally and ended up with a c-section, and I never really understood that feeling, until yesterday. I feel like my body has failed me, and isn't doing what it was built to do: deliver a baby vaginally. For me it is a hard pill to swallow that this may not happen.
We have a meeting tomorrow with our doula, and that'll definitely help and will give me another opinion, and I truly hope to have a decision made my this weekend, if anything for my own sanity.
I know a lot of mom's who have had c-sections, and wouldn't do it any other way. Same goes with mom's who have had both a vaginal birth and a c-section, and would chose a c-section over a vaginal birth.
I hate the idea of the recovery time involved with a c-section, along with it possibly affecting my milk supply, as I really want to breastfeed. I really envisioned having that instant skin on skin experience with my baby and having a vaginal birth.
Right now I hope and pray (I've done lots of praying over the past 24 hours) that baby will come on its own between now and 5/10, and that the decision will be made by baby and not me.
But now I just don't know what to do with the potential options that I do have if baby doesn't come between now and then. I do know that the decision is ultimately mine to make, and that each and every birth is different. But I would truly appreciate your thoughts and input as I try to make this decision.
So ladies: I ask:
C-section or vaginal birth?