Thursday, March 17, 2016

I read an adult book

One new thing living here in Alamogordo is meeting new people, and creating new friendships.  One of the first Mom's I met: Laura invited me to her book club.  I've been to one so far (in January) but it was a blast, and definitely want to continue to go!  I've never been part of a book club before, but one thing I really like about this one, is even if you don't read the book you still get to go.  The book for February was "Room" (I just finished it, and I missed February's meeting because it was while I was out of town).  I was excited about book club and really having an excuse to read a book.  It's easily been 2+ years since I've read an adult book, and I really enjoyed it.  Now I want to see the movie, which I think will be a little bit more tricky to do.
I much preferred the last half of this book, as the first half I had a hard time getting into it.  The book is told from a 5-year old boys perspective, so getting adjusted to that dialogue and writing was a little difficult for me to get into.  But once I was used to it, his point of few definitely made the book more interesting.  The topic of this book I think would be difficult to write from an adults perspective just because of the issues involved, having the book told by Jack kept it's innocence, since Jack doesn't know anything else.
The book is about a woman help captive for seven years, with her soon, whom she gives birth to after 2 years of being held captive, and their escape.  I would recommend this book just because of the different narrative and to give yourself the view of how a 5 year old boy sees the world.

No comments: