Saturday, May 16, 2015

a first birthday



He's such a great grandpa

the spread, can you see the owl veggie tray?





Lilly with mom Erin (Lilly was born end of April), Helena and I, and Grayson with mom Andrea (Grayson was born on 5/5)

a trio of one year olds

i love that i photo-bombed this picture!

Happy Birthday time!




LOVE her outfit!



nice family photo
I can’t believe my baby girl is one.  I also can’t believe that I haven’t cried because my baby girl is one.  Granted I’ve gotten teary eyed, and singing “happy birthday” was tough, but I pictured having an all out melt down that my baby is no longer a “baby”.  Of course, that doesn’t mean that it won’t happen, but as of right now I’ve stayed rather drama free in regards to my daughter turning one. 
to THIS!  she's over it!
Her birthday weekend was a lot of fun and a lot of work.  My parents were in town (more on that, hopefully), and they definitely helped.  It is so nice to have extra eyes and hands to help watch Helena!  It’s so amazing how one little person requires so much attention!
Chris and I did all we could with the prep work and thankfully all the little details turned out how I envisioned.  The one big crappy part was the rainy cold weather.  I had hoped to bring the party outdoors, but mother nature had another agenda.  Her theme was a continuation of Halloween, as we went with an “Owl” theme.  It was super cute.  My mother-in-law made an amazing onsie outfit that I will treasure for years and years! 
I made an Owl veggie tray, fruit kabobs, and queso dip.  I printed out a Happy Birthday Helena banner, and got balloons for all the kiddos.  It was a great time.  Sounds simple, but it was a lot of work. 
The cake smash was exactly that, a SMASH!  We put her down in only a diaper on the plastic mat her highchair is on.  At first she was super skeptical.  She would touch the icing and jerk her hand back like it pinched her!  Everyone laughed, and the loud noise and all the attention scared her, so Chris picked her up and put her in his lap.  Once she finally broke off a piece of the cake she was much more comfortable, and ended up with the frosting everywhere, plus I think she actually ate some.  It was a lot of fun, and a great memory. 
After cake we opened presents and got so many fun toys! 
All in all she did really well considering we woke her up from her nap for the party.  Once everyone left she had a little meltdown, but that was to be expected. 
Her actual birthday was Mother’s Day too.  We got up and went to church, then to brunch.  The big milestone of late of course has been walking.  I know everyone says once she walks “it’s over”, and as true as I know that, lately it has been the anticipation of it happening, because I could tell it was going to happen soon.  And well she took her first independent step on her birthday! It was an amazing site.  To see her body move!  And how amazing it is to see this accomplishment happen on her birthday.  To think of her being born exactly one year prior, to be this itty bitty newborn, to a walking baby in exactly one year!  Time is truly an amazing thing.
Now she’s getting better and better, and can take about 4 or 5 steps, and I know it won’t be long before she is literally off and running!
This year has been amazing.  I absolutely love being a mom to Helena.  She is such a happy and healthy baby, and that alone makes me feel so blessed.  But in addition to being happy and healthy, she’s such a good baby.  She’s started “singing” the ABC’s, and recently found the function of a door, and now swings the doors, which is extremely nerve-racking since I don’t want her to smash her fingers.  Mother’s Day was spent celebrating my daughter, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

2 comments:

Summer said...

What a cute party! Happy birthday baby girl! She's not much of a baby anymore.

Emily said...

You did such a great job! Even the simplest parties are so much work, I know what you mean. I love that she had so much family and friends to help her celebrate. Happy Birthday Helena!